When the Tremor is Over


Even in a major earthquake, if there is no threat your residence may collapse or catch fire, there is no need to evacuate.
Gather correct information through the radio or Shinjuku City’s Wireless Emergency Alert System. Do not believe false rumors.
Evacuate immediately if there is a risk your residence may collapse or catch fire or when there is a public announcement to evacuate from the city, the Fire Department or Police Department.

When and where to evacuate

[1] When the tremor is over, evacuate to “Temporary Gathering Site” (designated park, public square, etc.).
[2] Evacuate to an “Evacuation Area”, if there is a risk your residence or office may collapse or catch fire.
[3] Evacuate to an “Evacuation Site” (elementary/junior high school) if your house is destroyed or if you are unable to live in your own house due to a fire.

Temporary Gathering Site

Temporary Gathering Site画像
Temporary Gathering Site is designated by each neighborhood/residents’ association.
The site is a place to stay temporarily to grasp the situation before going to evacuation sites and evacuation areas.
Later, move to an evacuation site or evacuation area as necessary.

Evacuation Site

Evacuation Site画像
These are locations for evacuation and temporary accommodation if your house is destroyed due to a disaster, such as an earthquake or flood, or if you are unable to live in your own house because the utilities have been cut off.
They serve as centers to provide information, distribute food and perform first aid.

Evacuation Area

Evacuation Area画像
Large parks and public squares are designated as evacuation areas so that you can protect yourself from fires when a major earthquake strikes.

When you evacuate your home

Turn off both the main gas valve and the breaker.

Leave a memo with relevant information such as where you have evacuated to on the door.

Evacuate on foot.
Carry only necessary personal belongings on your back.