Shinjuku City
Living InformationDescription of ShinjukuLet’s Learn JapaneseForeign Language InformationPDF
Shinjuku City Official WebsiteForeign language top pageLiving Information > Taxes, Medical Treatment and Health Insurance

Taxes, Medical Treatment and Health Insurance

Tax Payment
Income Tax, Resident’s Tax and Kakutei-Shinkoku (Income Tax Report)
Pension System
Enrollment in National Health Insurance
Enrollment in the Medical Care System for the Older Senior Citizen
Public Health Centers
Regular Health Maintenance
Hospitals and Dentists with Staff who Speak Foreign Languages
HIV Test and Foreign Language Consultation (AIDS Prevention)
Preparing for Disasters
Notifications and Procedures to Be Completed at the City Office
Taxes, Medical Treatment and Health Insurance
Childbirth, Child-Raising and Education
Useful Information
Main Public Facilities
Living Information (PDF)

Enrollment in National Health Insurance

■ Health Insurance—A Program
 That Everyone Is Required to Join

Inquiries National Health Insurance Eligibility Section,
Medical Insurance and Pension Division

■ What Is Health Insurance?
 Foreign residents who live in Japan must also be enrolled in some form of health insurance operated by a public institution so that everyone can receive medical treatment with peace of mind in case of illness or injury.

■ Insurance Members
 Registered residents in Shinjuku City must become members. However, the following people are exempt:

  1. Those who are to enroll in the health insurance plan at their place of employment and their family members (dependents).
  2. Anyone with a diplomatic visa, or who is in Japan for the purpose of receiving medical treatment under the visa status of designated activities
  3. Those who stay in Japan beyond the designated period of stay or those whose period of stay stated on the visa (e.g., short-term visa) is three months or less (The latter exclude those who have some form of documentation that verifies their actual period of stay will be longer than three months.)
  4. Those who are receiving public financial assistance for everyday living
  5. Those who are eligible for the Medical Care System for the Older Senior Citizen

 If any of the following conditions apply, please complete the designated procedures at the Medical Insurance and Pension Division within 14 days. The head of the household is responsible for filing the notification form.

■ Procedures for Enrollment
  Eligibility for health insurance does not begin from the day you file the form, but from the day you should have enrolled in health insurance.
  1. If you have moved into Shinjuku City from another city or country.
  2. If you have withdrawn from the health insurance plan of your place of employment.
  3. If your visa status has changed from short-term to student or family.
  4. If a child is born in your family.
  5. If you are no longer eligible for public financial assistance for everyday living.

■ Procedures for Withdrawal
 Please be sure to return your National Health Insurance card.
  1. If you have moved out of Shinjuku City.
  2. If you plan to leave Japan (return to your home country).
  3. If you have enrolled in the health insurance plan at your place of employment.
  4. If a member dies.
  5. If you become eligible for public financial assistance for everyday living.

■ National Health Insurance Premiums
 National Health Insurance premiums comprise a medical portion, support portion, and Long-Term Care Insurance portion (only for those between 40 and 64 years of age). Each portion is determined by adding together an income-based amount and per-capita amount. The latter is calculated based on the number of all enrollees of the National Health Insurance (NHI). To ensure that NHI premiums are calculated correctly, an income tax report for the entire household is necessary. Your cooperation in this matter would be appreciated.
  Also, please note that insurance premiums are calculated for the household as a unit, and the head of a household of insured members is responsible for paying insurance premiums. Therefore, please be careful and do not forget to pay your insurance premiums.

■ How to Pay the National Health Insurance Premium

Inquiries Collection Section,
Medical Insurance and Pension Division

  Insurance premiums can be paid by using the invoice, by direct debit from your financial account, or by deduction from your pension. If you pay premiums by using the invoice or by direct debit, the total amount owed for the entire year will be broken down into ten installments, from June through March of the following year, and will need to be paid by the end of each month.
Insurance premium invoices are sent out twice a year, in June and October. You can pay insurance premiums at financial institutions, such as banks and post offices, at the City Office or Branch Offices, or any city-designated convenience store. If you pay by direct debit, premiums will be paid automatically from your financial account at the end of each month.
If the head of the household is a pension recipient and fulfills the designated requirements, premiums will be deducted from the pension in the months the pension is paid (i.e., six times a year); this excludes those who pay by direct debit.

Health Insurance Premium Payment Consultation

Inquiries Payment Consultation Section, Medical Insurance and Pension Division

 As a rule, if you are behind in paying your National Health Insurance premiums, you must pay any overdue premiums in one lump sum. However, please take advantage of our consultation services if payment is difficult due to special circumstances.
If you are behind in paying your insurance premiums, you may be issued an eligibility certificate in lieu of the regular health insurance card.

■If You Are Enrolled in Kokuho (National Health Insurance)

Inquiries: National Health Insurance Benefits Section, Medical Insurance and Pension Division

 National Health Insurance is a medical treatment health insurance plan that charges insurance premiums according to your income and covers medical expenses when you are ill or injured. Whenever you receive medical treatment for illnesses or injuries, part of the medical expense is covered, the same as for Japanese citizens.
 There are also benefits for childbirth and funeral expenses. These are called health insurance benefits. If you show your National Health Insurance card (those 70 years of age or older must also show their Elderly Subsidy Recipient Card) at the hospital reception counter, then you only need to pay a portion of the medical expense. National Health Insurance will cover the remaining portion.

■Personally Borne Expense of Members
These are subject to change due to revisions in the law.
Insurance Member Insurance Member’s Personally Borne Percentage Percentage Borne by National Health Insurance
Under compulsory-education age
Above compulsory-education age to 69 years of age
70 to 74 years of age
(10% of which is actually covered by public funds)

*Those with a designated level of income or higher (Please call for more details.)

■ High Medical Expense
 If you have paid high medical fees in a one-month period and fulfill designated conditions, the portion of the personally borne expense that exceeds the designated amount can be reimbursed. The personally borne expense ceiling is determined by age, household income and total medical expenses.

■ Public Health Programs

Inquiries General Affairs Section, Medical Insurance and Pension Division

■ Dental Health Consultation

 For early detection and prevention of cavities and gum disease, dental health consultation services are available free of charge for city residents at clinics in the city affiliated with the Dentists’ Association during Dental Health Week starting from June 4 (every day except Sundays; in the morning only).

■ Kokuho (National Health Insurance) Resort Facilities
 There are year-round resort facilities and summer resort facilities for the health and relaxation of Kokuho members.

● Resort Facilities
 Kokuho is contracted with hotels and lodging facilities operated by Japan Post Holdings, Co., Ltd. so that members can use them at discounted rates throughout the year. To apply, please refer to Anata-no kurashi to kokuho (Your life and Kokuho), which is distributed to Kokuho households, or information flyers. You can then apply to the particular facility directly.
● Summer Resort Facilities
 If you use lodging facilities offered by travel agencies approved by Shinjuku City, part of the lodging fee is subsidized. Information on application procedures and other details are announced in Koho Shinjuku (the Shinjuku City bulletin) and through other means.

■ Special Health Checkups and Guidance

Inquiries Health Checkup Section, Health Promotion Division

 Special health checkups that focus on metabolic syndrome are given to Shinjuku City National Health Insurance members between 40 and 74 years of age. This checkup is given together with health checkups provided by Public Health Centers are other madeical instit institutuons. Those who are eligible will be sent a health checkup slip in the mail.
 Special health guidance is given to those whose special health checkup results show that they have a need to improve their lifestyles.
 Special health checkups for those who are enrolled in a Health Insurance Union, Mutual Benefit Society, Japan Health Insurance Association or National Health Insurance Union (including dependents) are conducted by the respective health insurance agency. For more information, please call your health insurance agency.

Back to the top

| Shinjuku City Official Website  |