Shinjuku City
Living InformationDescription of ShinjukuLet’s Learn JapaneseForeign Language InformationPDF
Shinjuku City Official WebsiteForeign language top pageLiving Information > Childbirth, Child-Raising and Education

Childbirth, Child-Raising and Education

Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Child-Raising
Child-Raising Support Services
Child-Raising Seminars
Nursery Schools
Elementary School and Junior High School
Education after Compulsory Education
Children's Halls, Children's Corners, and Children's Clubs
Japanese-Language Studies at School
Japanese-Language Studies in the Community
Preparing for Disasters
Notifications and Procedures to Be Completed at the City Office
Taxes, Medical Treatment and Health Insurance
Childbirth, Child-Raising and Education
Useful Information
Main Public Facilities
Living Information (PDF)

Child-Raising Support

 Many people raising children and living away from their home country experience worry and anxiety due to cultural differences and these worries can be magnified when it comes to childbirth or child-raising in a foreign country. Shinjuku City conducts various services in support of childbirth and child-raising. Registering your pregnancy is the first step for receiving such services, so please register your pregnancy as soon as possible.
 Basic education in Japan includes six years of elementary school, three years of junior high school, three years of high school and four years of college. Of these, elementary and junior high school education are compulsory. Although foreign residents are not obliged to go to school, parents may enroll or transfer their children into a municipal elementary or junior high school in Shinjuku City.


Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Child-Raising

■Issuance of the Mother and Child Health Handbook (Boshi Kenko Techo)

Inquiries Ushigome Public Health Center
Tel: 03-3260-6231

Yotsuya Public Health Center
Tel: 03-3351-5161

Higashi-Shinjuku Public Health Center
Tel: 03-3200-1026

Ochiai Public Health Center
Tel: 03-3952-7161

Health Services Section,
Health Promotion Division
Tel: 03-5273-3047

  If you become pregnant, please submit a notification to a Public Health Center, Health Services Section of Health Promotion Division, or a Branch Office at your earliest convenience.
  The Mother and Child Health Handbook (Boshi Kenko Techo), which records the pregnancy and childbirth progress, the child’s development, health checkups, and immunizations, is issued to those who are pregnant.
 A Mother and Child Health Bag, which contains a guidebook on pregnancy, childbirth, and child-raising, and a pregnant women’s health examination slip, is given to those who are registered as residents.

○ Eligibility
Those who are pregnant (as a rule, for those who have completed resident registration in Shinjuku City)

○ Application Procedures
Please file a pregnancy registration form available at the City Office counter.

○ Filing Locations
Public Health Centers
Health Services Section, Health Promotion Division
Branch Offices

1. Please call the center/section above for more information.
2. There is a foreign-language supplement to the Mother and Child Health Handbook in Korean, Chinese, Spanish, Tagalog, English, Portuguese, Thai, and Indonesian. You can pick this supplement up at the Health Promotion Division and Public Health Centers. The Korean, Chinese, and English versions are also available at our Branch Offices. If you want one, please say so at the service counter when you receive your Mother and Child Health Handbook.

■Mother’s/Parents’ Class

Inquiries Public Health Centers

 Classes are held for expectant mothers and fathers concerning pregnancy, childbirth, and child-raising.

■“Nice to Meet You” Baby Support Class

Inquiries Public Health Centers

 Midwives and public health nurses offer group work as well as consultation, advice, and information concerning child-raising for expectant mothers and nursing mothers.

■Birth Notification

Inquiries Family Register Section, Family and Resident Registration Division

 The mother or father should complete the designated birth notification procedures within 14 days of the birth, at either the city office of the place of birth or the parent’s present address.
Also, please be sure to complete the following procedures:
• Application for visa status at the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau within 30 days of the birth
• Procedures designated by your home country (such as passport application)

Note: If you or your spouse is a special permanent resident and wishes to file a special permanent resident application for your child, you will need to come to the Resident Registration Section. A valid birth certificate is required for this application.

■Home Visit Health Checkups for Babies

Inquiries Public Health Centers

 An instructor (such as a midwife or public health nurse) will visit the home of a family with a baby who is 4 Months of Age or younger. While the baby’s development (physical measurements), health, and other conditions are being checked, the mother can consult the instructor concerning her (the mother’s) health and child-raising. In addition, the instructor can provide information on the child-raising support services of Shinjuku City, so please consult the instructor (free of charge). Please mail the Home Visit Health Checkups for Babies Request Form (Birth Reporting Form) attached to your Mother and Child Health Handbook (Boshi Kenko Techo).

■Weaning and Solids Class

Inquiries Public Health Centers

 This class is held for parents with children 6–7 Months of Age. Information will be mailed to those who are eligible.

■Class on Preparing Meals for Babies

Inquiries Public Health Centers

 This class is for parents with infants 12–18 months of age; a babysitting service is also available.

■Health Consultation for Infants and Toddlers

Inquiries Public Health Centers

 Public health nurses, nutritionists, and dental hygienists offer consultation concerning the physical and mental health, development, child-raising, nutrition, and teeth of infants and toddlers.

Back to the top

| Shinjuku City Official Website  |